Senior UX Designer
Maplewood, Minnesota / 3M Company
Posted: Oct 26, 2017
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation.Â We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity.Â We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a contract Senior UX Designer for our Consumer Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
The person hired for the position of Senior UX DesignerÂ will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs and interfaces in support of programs of major importance within the 3M Consumer Business Group. The person in this role will supportÂ experience and visual design to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ecosystems; participate in consumer research to understand how to best deliver a compelling user experience and identify visual user interface requirements, create guidelines and define design approach.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow's solutions to today's problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We're looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Senior UX Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create world-class user interfaces and visual designs from concept to execution for mobile applications, and connected IOT products.
- Handles major new projects in parallel, organizes and manages assignments in an agile manner in support of business plans, organizational plans and 3M's reputation and brand strategy.
- Collaborates with product designers to develop intuitive, compelling interfaces and interactions between mobile applications and connected devices.
- Builds high-fidelity interactive prototypes, and participates in concept testing/usability testing and produces recommendations to move the project forward.
- Translate interaction wireframes into visual designs that are visually engaging, simple and intuitive.
- Conveys visual design ideas in tangible forms like concepts, annotated comps and cut assets.
- Defines key user interface behaviors through the use of experience models, personas, storyboards, site maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, simulations and etc.
- Develop visual design languages and systems including layouts, grids, photography, iconography, UI elements and others.
- Apply visual language to the design of product interactions, and mobile applications for variety of devices with different screen sizes, aspect ratios and pixel densities.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in design, graphic design, visual communications, industrial design, design strategy or user experience design.
- Minimum of three (3) combined years of working experience in user experience design and/or visual design, with experiences in designing solutions for web, IOT Devices and mobile applications on a variety platforms including IOS and Android.
- M.S. in design strategy, graphic design or user experience design, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience in the design industry.
- Excellent visual design skills, layout, typography, and colors.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 10%
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M.Â As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
3M is an equal opportunity employer.Â 3MÂ will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.