The One Show

The One Show is the world's most prestigious award show in advertising and design. For over 50 years, the Gold Pencil has been regarded as one of the top prizes in the creative industry. The One Show has a rich legacy of honoring some of the most groundbreaking ideas, created by some of the most remarkable minds in creativity.

2023 One Show - Social Media

French Toast Guy

Agency McCann Canada / Toronto

Client Wendy's Canada


Stunts & Activations

Annual ID


About the Work

In January 2023, Wendy’s introduced its new Homestyle French Toast Sticks to Canada. Our plan was to show just how difficult it was to enjoy French Toast on-the-go, and then how easy it becomes with Wendy’s new Homestyle French Toast Sticks. So, we created French Toast Guy. He went where no breakfast launch has gone before; the subway. Surrounded by thousands of commuters who skip breakfast every day, we pulled out all the ‘stops’. And as anticipated it didn’t take long until people noticed. Passers-by started filming him. Wondering aloud who this man was and, crucially, why he would make French Toast on a subway. Who is #FrenchToastGuy was trending. Soon the media picked up on it and started asking the same questions. Even the Toronto Transit Commission put out a statement expressing their befuddlement. Just as the speculation and intrigue reached a fevered-pitch, we sent French Toast Guy out one last time, but this time with Wendy’s French Toast Sticks in-hand. Some eagle-eyed reporters caught on and Wendy’s was revealed as the perpetrator of the subway shenanigans. Busted. Now, we didn’t just create a cult hero for the sake of it, there was a clear method to the madness of using #FrenchToastGuy to drive awareness of the Wendy’s French Toast Sticks product launch and drive sales. And it worked. French Toast Guy earned 25.6m impressions in the first week, reached 243m people and the Wendy’s reveal video alone scored 1.8m views on TikTok. Overall, the activation generated 96% positive sentiment online, with the remaining 4% probably slightly confused morning commuters.  More importantly than that, all the talk of French Toast turned into sales success as Wendy’s Breakfast Sales Grew by 30%, driven largely by on-the-go in-app orders increasing by 74.8%. 

2023 Awards

Total Points: 3




McCann Canada / Toronto

Art Director

Menna Toeima


Ethan MacDonald

Chief Creative Officer

Josh Stein

Creative Director

Amy O'Neill
Bill Schaefer


Ingrid Kroboth

Account Director

Alexandra Lindsay

Camera Operator

Alex Tong
Andrew Vance
Praven Yoganathan

Strategy Director

Liam Brown

Agency In-House Production

Craft / Toronto

Associate, Communications Design

Dana Tartir

Camera Operator (Producer)

Kristina Loschiavo

Camera Operator (Video Editor)

Rod Reano

Chief strategy Officer

Aj Jones

Group Account Director

Raichelle Ursua

Head of Content

Travis Wood

Junior Strategist

Kira Segal-Pillemer


Leen Tangney

Manager, Communications Design

Emily Johnston



Senior Communications Designer

Christina White

Social Community Manager

Philip Dos Santos

Supervisor, Communications Design


Vice President, Client Advice & Management

Ishma Alexander-Huet  

VP, Director of Business Leadership

Patrick O'Donovan

Related Awards





Follow Us