McCann New York, BBDO New York, Dentsu Tokyo Among Top Winners On First Night of 45th Annual One Show
The One Show
May 10, 2018
McCann New York and BBDO New York each came home with 11 One Show Pencils and Dentsu Tokyo won nine at the first night of The One Club for Creativity’s 45th annual One Show, the most prestigious global competition celebrating creativity of ideas and quality of execution.
McCann New York picked up the most Gold Pencils for the night with eight, including five for ”Fearless Girl” on behalf of State Street Global Advisors. The work also won Best of Discipline in Direct Marketing. BBDO New York was runner up with six Gold Pencils, including five for P&G “The Talk”.
Best of Discipline winners for the first night of The One Show were:
- Branded Entertainment: MRM//McCann, Madrid “Beyond Money” for Banco Santander (https://vimeo.com/267696382/49a5f30026).
- Design: Wieden+Kennedy Amsterdam with New Amsterdam and Mindshare, all Amsterdam, “The Lioness Crest” for Nike (https://vimeo.com/267646601/55ece16801).
- Direct Marketing: McCann New York with Visbal Sculpture, Inc., Lewes, Delaware and Traction Creative, New York “Fearless Girl” for State Street Global Advisors (https://vimeo.com/267696410/f30d84b592).
- Health, Wellness & Pharma: McCann Worldgroup India, Mumbai with McCann Health, Delhi, both India, and McCann Health Global, Washington, DC, “Immunity Charm” for Ministry of Public Health, Afghanistan (https://vimeo.com/267696443/a099ef090c).
- Intellectual Property: Colenso BBDO, Auckland, New Zealand “Pedigree Selfie STIX Clip” for Mars (https://vimeo.com/267696467/505ec992cd).
- Moving Image Craft: MPC, London and Los Angeles with MJZ, Los Angeles and Leo Burnett, Chicago “Samsung, Ostrich” for Samsung (https://vimeo.com/267646908/41668f6337).
- Public Relations: Clemenger BBDO, Melbourne, Australia “Give Registry” for Myer (https://vimeo.com/267647053/b2accd0064).
- Responsive Environments: TBWA\Hakuhodo Inc. with Tohokushinsha Film Corporation, both Tokyo, “Green Light Run” for adidas Japan (https://vimeo.com/267627382/31b1430df7).
“These Best of Discipline winners are a true reflection of the global breadth of today’s amazing creative work, and of the global scope of The One Show itself,” said Kevin Swanepoel, CEO, The One Club for Creativity. “From Amsterdam to Auckland, Madrid to Melbourne, agencies and brands around the world are taking creative excellence to a new level. The One Show is proud to be the awards program to identify, elevate and celebrate that great work on a global scale.”
The One Show Green Pencil, recognizing the single most environmentally conscious creative work for the year, was awarded to AMV BBDO and LADbible, both London for “Trash Isles” on behalf of LADbible and Plastic Ocean.
McCann New York’s ”Fearless Girl” for State Street Global Advisors and BBDO New York’s “The Talk” for P&G each won a Gold in the Cultural Driver Award, recognizing influential ideas and executions that had a major impact in their respective cultures and environments, and exist outside the traditional categories in advertising and design.
Rounding out the leading Gold Pencil winners for the first night of The One Show, Dentsu Tokyo was awarded five Golds, including two for Toyota L&F “The Beauty of Food Logistics”, and McCann Worldgroup India, Mumbai picked up four Golds, all for “Immunity Charm” on behalf of Ministry of Public Health, Afghanistan.
Winning three Gold Pencils each were Cossette Toronto, including two for SickKids Foundation “SickKids VS - All In”; Chobani, New York, for three separate Design entries; and Ogilvy & Mather, Chicago for City of Chicago “One Chicago”, all in Public Relations.
For this first night of The One Show, 299 Pencils — 116 Gold, 82 Silver and 101 Bronze — and 535 Merits were awarded for work from 37 countries. A total of 19,823 entries were received from 73 countries this year.
A complete list of all Pencil and Merit winners for the first night of The One Show can be viewed at oneshow.org/downloads/awards/2018-OneShow-Pencils-Wednesday.pdf.
The evening was hosted by comedian Chris Gethard, host of “The Chris Gethard Show”, the “Beautiful/Anonymous” podcast, star of “Career Suicide” and, according to his website, “a guy you've seen on television and in movies from time to time but can't quite place”.
This year’s winners are announced on two nights of The One Show during The One Club’s Creative Week, May 7-11, 2018 in New York (http://www.oneclub.org/creativeweek/).
The second night of The One Show, awarding work in Cross Platform, Film, Interactive, Mobile, Print & Outdoor, Radio, Social Influencer Marketing, Social Media, UX/UI, Penta Pencil, the first-ever CMO Pencil, Best of Show and other special awards takes place on Friday, May 11, 2018 at Cipriani Wall St. in New York.
The preeminent festival showcasing the intersection of advertising, innovation and creative thinking, Creative Week also includes the ADC 97th Annual Awards, the dynamic Young Ones Education Festival, inspiring sessions with some of the biggest names in the industry at the Creative Summit, and the exclusive Executive Creative Summit, open to a limited number of top-level leaders (founders, CCOs and managing partners).
Sponsors of Creative Week 2018 are Shutterstock, Facebook, Musicbed, Nickelodeon and Pinterest.
The One Club for Creativity (http://www.oneclub.org), producer of the prestigious One Show, ADC Annual Awards, Creative Week and Portfolio Night, is the world's foremost non-profit organization recognizing creative excellence in advertising and design. The ADC Annual Awards honors the best work across all disciplines, including Advertising, Interactive, Design and Motion. Creative Week takes place in New York City every May and is the preeminent festival celebrating the intersection of advertising and the arts.