The One Show Revamps Categories
The One Show
Nov 06, 2013
IP, Design for the Greater Good, Craft Among Biggest Changes
The One Club announced today the addition of new categories to the 41st Annual One Show Awards. A new Intellectual Property discipline, new categories in Craft and the restructuring of Design for the Greater Good are among the most noteworthy upgrades.
“This is the biggest change for The One Show’s categories in years,” said Mary Warlick, CEO of The One Club. “We’ve streamlined categories to reflect changes in our industry, and to support creative talent working today. Agencies are doing much more than producing ads for clients. We are adapting The One Show to reflect that partnership. As with everything we do, the focus is on creative thinking.”
Highlighted changes are as follows:
• Intellectual Property, a new discipline, awards agencies that have worked closely with brands to create new products and content as part of integrated advertising and communications campaigns. Past examples of intellectual property are the Nike Fuel Band and the Fiat Eco-Drive.
• Design for the Greater Good, a category awarding design initiatives that address humanity’s challenges and social responsibility, will solicit work from individuals, agencies as well as local governmental projects.
• The Green Pencil is now its own category and will accept campaigns for environmentally themed advertising. A portion of the entry fees will go towards the winning entry’s cause or non-profit foundation.
• New categories in Craft award specific expertise such as copywriting, script writing, music and sound design, and art direction.
• Innovation will be divided into four categories: print, radio, outdoor and video, and will be judged within those disciplines.
In addition to creating new categories, juries have been added and assigned to sets of categories instead of general disciplines. Among them are print, direct, and UI/UX and mobile.
“Increasing the number of juries was important to ensure that judges would review work that fell squarely within their specific field of expertise,” said Kevin Swanepoel, President of The One Club. “This ensures the purest, most accurate judging, which, in turn, guarantees that the very best work is awarded appropriately.”
Visit enter.oneclub.org for more information on the new One Show categories or to submit an entry. Deadline for entry is January 31, 2014. If you have any questions regarding the categories, please email