Letter to the Industry from the CEO
The One Club
Sep 29, 2020
As we enter the final quarter of this most challenging of years, I wanted to thank you for your support of The One Show 2020 and ADC 99th Annual Awards and let you know what your entries have enabled us to accomplish.
As the world’s foremost nonprofit organization whose mission is to support and celebrate the global creative community, The One Club for Creativity used revenue generated from these awards entries to help fund a number of new and continuing initiatives for our industry:
- Where Are All The Black People - A diversity conference and career fair: Now in its 10th year, this leading one-day in-person conference in New York was transformed into a three-day online event, expanded for a global audience and featuring dozens of industry leaders addressing the new realities of race, inclusion and diversity in advertising.
- The One Club COVID-19 Jobs Board: A free resource connecting people out of work due to the pandemic with agencies, design studios, production companies, and brands looking to fill open positions.
- Online Student Portfolio Reviews: To help graduating ad school seniors who found themselves unable to get in-person feedback on their books, we transformed our annual Young Ones Student Portfolio Review event into a free global online portfolio review program.
- The One Club Mentor & Creative program: The pandemic also prompted us to reinvent our multi-city Intern & Creative events as a free, ongoing global online initiative connecting aspiring creatives around the world with mentors at many of our corporate member agencies for six weeks of work on briefs and one-on-one guidance, career advice and portfolio reviews from top agency creatives.
- ONE School: A groundbreaking free portfolio program for Black creatives. With Fall and Spring classes on both the East and West Coasts taught by leading Black creatives and strategists, ONE School will help address the lack of diversity in advertising by bringing 60 talented new Black creatives into the industry each year.
- Creative Month 2020: Creative Week, which usually takes place in New York in May, was transformed into a month-long online festival called Creative Month. Featuring live panels, presentations, and seminars, we were one of the first in our industry to reimagine a creative festival online and provide completely free content during a time when many people most needed it.
This and more was only possible with your support. While most other awards chose to cancel their shows this year, The One Club doubled down on our commitment to elevate the industry, reimagining and expanding The One Show 2020, ADC 99th Annual Awards and Creative Week into multiple weeks of inspirational programming that streamed free of charge to a global audience.
This year more than ever, it was critical that we provide the platform to inspire the global creative community and continue to recognize those who have done the best work in the world. As a result, The One Show 2020 Global Rankings served as the year’s definitive measure for global creative excellence.
Learnings from this year will help us gear up for The One Show 2021 and historic ADC 100th Annual Awards (and ADC centennial celebration), both launching in the coming months. With refined categories to reflect the evolving industry, the shows will remain relevant as the world pivots during these tumultuous times.
Thank you again for your invaluable support. It makes a real, meaningful difference and enables us to provide these and other worthwhile programs that are critically important in keeping the industry moving forward.
Chief Executive Officer